Thursday, March 18, 2010

what have i done for someone today?

My life has forever been changed because of certain events that have occurred & because of certain people that have come into my life in just the past year & a half. These things & people have caused me to really look at myself & try & figure out who I am & what kind of life I want to live and for that, I am grateful. It has not come without a lot of heartache & tears & a lot of soul searching. I have found that I am so much happier when I am not thinking of myself...when I am doing something for someone else. I have always been taught to think of others & to do for others. My mom was one of my greatest examples. As I was growing up she was always doing for others...always thinking of others. She was always taking dinner to someone or making goodies & she always did so much for my dad, brothers, sister & I. She served so diligently in the Church & was so stalwart in her callings as the Primary President & later as the Relief Society President. But her example as a Visiting Teacher has left more of an impression on me than any of her other callings. She was such a great example & it taught me just how important that calling really is. Being a Visiting Teacher gives you the opportunity to do something for someone without having it really be noticed. Which when you think about it...that is how it should be done & that is how my mom did a lot of things. She did them without a lot of "fanfare" & never wanted any attention. That is something she taught me & that is how I like to do things. I don't like a lot of attention. I want to go unnoticed. I'm so very grateful for my mom for teaching me these things & giving me that foundation. And I am very grateful for the person that has come into my life & changed me...who has helped me to really take a look at myself in the mirror & has helped me to really want to do that something for someone even more than I have in the past...to realize what is really important when you are in "the thick of thin things."

No comments:

Post a Comment