A few years ago I received a book from a friend called "Anyway...the Paradoxical Commandments" by Kent M. Keith. There are 10 paradoxical commandments. Lately I have been feeling a little unappreciated & as I sat & felt sorry for myself, my mind went back to this book so I decided to read it again & this time I found new insights...Everyone wants to be appreciated & a lot of times we might feel that we are being taken for granted & often we end up asking ourselves why do I keep on doing these things for other people if they don't even appreciate me? Well...this book had the answer that totally makes sense to me and that is...we all have our own integrity & standards & we receive satisfaction from doing something well & it really doesn't matter if anyone knows or appreciates what we do...we still have to do our best. It isn't about them...it isn't about how much they care...it's about how much we care! A person who wants or needs the recognition in the things that they do will focus on trying to get it instead of focusing on meeting the needs of others. People don't always give you that recognition & if you feel you need that, then your happiness will depend on the desires of others. But, if you "do it anyway" the satisfaction that you receive when you help others will always be yours whether or not you get that recognition. Some may think this is very "saintly" but when you live a paradoxical life, it's not about sainthood! Recognition doesn't give you as much meaning as loving & helping others does & you shouldn't stop helping others just because others don't seem to appreciate you. You just do it anyway.
{I saw this video & again it brought it all in perspective. Go here to see it.}
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment